As a Physical Therapist or PTA in Michigan, you must complete 24 PDR credits within 2 years immediately proceeding renewal. (Example: Those renewing in July 2020 must accumulate 24 PDR’s between August 1, 2018 and July 31, 2020. • PDRs are required for licensure renewal; not for the initial PT/PTA license.
The Michigan Physical Therapy continuing education requirements are listed in detail below.
Michigan – 24 CEU (credits) every 2 years by July 31.
Michigan Physical Therapy CEU Requirements
The following is from the Michigan Physical Therapy Practice Act Website: (MI Source)
- In addition to the renewal requirements, each licensee must take a course in the Identification of Victims of Human Trafficking.
This is one time requirement and as such is not considered part of the PDR renewal requirements. This cannot be counted as one of your 24 PDR credits.
- No more than 12 PDR credits shall be earned for approved online continuing education programs or activities during one 24-hour period.
- No PDR credits for substantially identical programs and activities during the same renewal period.
- 1 PDR must be earned in the area of pain and symptom management
For a complete list of the 19 different PDR activities and options that meet relicensure PDR activities see below:
1 PDR = 1 CEU hour
There are 19 activities and options that meet PDR requirements – each has their own
Michigan PT CEU Requirements
Maximum Limits of PDRs and Guidelines
▪ Continuing Education Units (CEU’s) – Maximum of 20 PDR’s; 1 CEU = 1 PDR
▪ Post graduate academic courses: Max of 20
▪ Reading & evaluating professional PT articles: Max of 6; 1 PDR for each article
▪ Viewing & evaluating professional PT media: Max of 6; 1 hour = 1 PDR
▪ Presenting approved CEU course: Max of 12; 1 hour = 1 PDR
▪ Presenting scientific exhibit/paper at conference: Max of 12; Each presentation= 2 PDRs
▪ Writing professional article that is published : Max of 12; 1 article= 6 PDRs
▪ Writing professional chapter published in book : Max of 12; 1 chapter = 6 PDRs
▪ Completing American Board of PT Specialties: Max of 23
▪ Participating a minimum of 1,000 hours in post graduate clinical training: Max of 12
▪ Participating in health care organization’s committees related to physical therapy: Max of 6; 1 hour= 1 PDR
▪ Serving as a guest lecturer: Max of 6; 1 hour = 2 PDR’s
▪ Serving as a Clinical Instructor or Supervisor : Max of 12; 40 hrs = 3 PDRs
▪ Identifying, researching, addressing a PT issue : Max of 6; 1 PDR for each event
▪ Participating in task force, board, council related PT: Max of 12; each event = 4 PDRs
▪ Participating as a surveyor for external agency – PT: Max of 12; 1 hour= 1 PDR
▪ Perform volunteer work (without pay) related to PT : Max of 6; 1 hour= 1 PDR
▪ Serving as Center Coordinator-Clinical Education: Max of 4; 1 year = 2 PDRs
▪ Complete FSBPT practice review tool: – NOTE: FSBPT changed the name of this program to oPTion. Until new Administrative Rules are finalized this is not currently an option for PDR credit. Once the rules are finalized later in 2019 this will count as 3 PDR credits.
What CEU Courses are Allowed in Michigan?
The Michigan Physical Therapy Association must approve continuing education courses in order to be eligible for license holders to apply such courses towards the 30 CEU requirement. They’ve provided a list of approved courses here. If you are in MI, the CEU course should make it clear that it has been approved by the MPTA. However, contacting the MPTA to confirm approval is OK to do if you are unsure of the eligibility. If you are interested in conducting a CEU course in Michigan, you must complete the Michigan Physical Therapy Continuing Education Application.
Can I Use MedBridge in Michigan?
Yes, you can use an online CEU company like MedBridge to complete required CEUs for your Michigan Physical Therapy license renewal. A quick check on the MedBridge website shows hundreds of approved courses for Michigan PT license holders looking to renew their license.
- Use the MedBridge promo code PTProgress to save 46% on unlimited CEUs
How much is a Physical Therapy License in Michigan?
It costs $190 to renew your PT license and $190 for PTAs.
When does my Michigan Physical Therapy license expire?
You must have a renewed license in order to practice Physical Therapy license after midnight on July 31 of your renewal year..
How long does it take to renew a Michigan Physical Therapy license?
If you file your renewal electronically, the process can be completed in about 7-10 days. If you do it by mail, it can take 3 to 6 weeks to process your request, so be sure to start the process early!
Compare CEUs by State
Take a look at all of the requirements for CEUs based on your state in this comprehensive article.